Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"Does this spark joy?" Decluttering book by 30 yr old Japanese woman

I enjoyed reading a long article in the Wall Street Journal about a 30 year old (!) Japanese woman named Marie Kondo whose manifesto about tidying up and decluttering "has become a global phenomenon."  Real briefly, here are two main lessons I've already gained from reviewing the article.  I'm also planning to look at the book itself from the library.

-How to know if you can get rid of something? "Her essential question is, 'Does this spark joy?'"

-The number two point that I liked is that in order to facilitate the "transition" away from an old possession, you may say "thank you" to the item for it's service to you.  It could help you get rid of stuff.  "Thank you for being my best navy sweater for all these years, now it's time for you to serve someone else in some other way.  I will find a good replacement."

-I drew a parallel to the Jewish idea of chesbon ha'nefesh, a spiritual accounting.  A person literally goes through with paper and pencil and evaluates their progress in about a dozen major areas of personal development.  Just like we can get rid of possessions which are no longer serving us, so too should we discard character traits that are no longer doing us any good!  May Hakadosh Baruch Hu help us reach our goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please submit any comments here and I will try to address them quickly!